dididothat

Top 12 Dog Toxins

The Pet Poison Helpline has an extensive database of Pet Toxins. Here are the     top 12 toxins for dogs:

1) Chocolate: the less sweet and the darker the chocolate, the more     toxic it is to your dog. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the     biggest problem ( the toxin is theobromine). Signs include: Hyperactivity,     Restlessness, Vomiting, Elevated heart rate, Hypertension (elevated blood     pressure), Abnormal heart rhythms, Tremors, Hyperthermia (elevated body     temperature), Seizures, Collapse, Death

2) Rat/mouse poison (Rodenticides): cause internal bleeding, but it     dosen’t happen immediately. Most pet owners only notice their dog is     lethargic (tired),and they may see a swollen belly. Responds well to     treatment ( Vit K), but must be diagnosed early.

3) Vitamins and minerals, Vitamin D3, iron are two common ones.     Oxygen absorbers and silica gel packets contain iron. Iron can cause     Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal pain, Shock, Elevated heart rate, Panting,     Tremors

4) NSAIDs: Metacam, Rimadyl, Ibuprofen, naproxen etc. This common     dog toxin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, and even death

5) Heart meds: these include vetmedin ( enlapril), diltiazem, etc.     Some can cause mild signs, such as weakness and dizziness from vetmedin.     Others such as diltiazem can result in severe poisoning. Overdose can     result in heart failure, a very slowed heart rate, severe hypotension (low     blood pressure), and secondary acute kidney failure.

6) OTC cough and cold meds. Decongestants are of the biggest     concern. They work by constricting (or tightening) the blood vessels in the     nose (and the rest of the body). The most common types of decongestants are     pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine. These drugs are commonly found in cold,     flu and allergy medications. When accidentally ingested by dogs,     decongestants can be deadly as they can result in vomiting, dilated pupils,     severe blood pressure changes (hypertension), abnormal heart rhythms and     rates, tremors, and seizures.

7) Antidepressants: These are typically a class of medication called     selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs). This type of medication     is sometimes used in veterinary medicine also (for behavioral problems). At     even therapeutic doses, it can result in moderate to severe clinical signs.     With accidental poisoning or ingestion, clinical signs from SSRIs include     sedation or central nervous system (CNS) stimulation, anorexia, and     lethargy. With larger poisonings, serotonin syndrome can be seen. Clinical     signs of serotonin syndrome include: CNS sedation or stimulation, vomiting,     tremoring, seizures, hyperthermia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and dilated     pupils.

8) Xylitol: sugar-free sweetener commonly found in many chewing     gums, mints, foods (e.g., pudding and gelatin snacks, etc.), oral rinses,     toothpastes, and OTC supplements (e.g., sugar-free multivitamins, fish     oils, etc.).In dogs, ingestion of > 0.1 gram/kg can cause an acute,     life-threatening low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) within 10-15 minutes.     Larger ingestions can result in acute liver necrosis and liver failure.     Signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs include weakness, lethargy, collapse,     vomiting, tremoring, seizures, jaundice, malaise, black-tarry stool, and     even coma or death.

9) Acetominophen (Tylenol), a common cause of liver failure. Be     cautious in using tylenol for dogs, and only give prescribed dose. Some of     the signs of toxicity can include: Vomiting, Decreased appetite, Lethargy     (tiredness), Difficult or rapid breathing, Abdominal pain, Brown     discoloration of the gums (a result of methemoglobin), Brown urine, Blue     gums (known as cyanosis, indicates inadequate oxygen supply), Swelling of     the face or paws, Shock, collapse, death

10) Caffeine Pills. Dogs appear to be more sensitive to the effects     of caffeine than people. While 1-2 laps of coffee, tea or soda will not     contain enough caffeine to cause poisoning in most pets, the ingestion of     moderate amounts of coffee grounds, tea bags or 1-2 diet pills can easily     cause death in small dogs or cats. When ingested, clinical signs of     hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, an elevated heart rate, hypertension     (elevated
blood pressure), abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, hyperthermia (elevated     body temperature), seizures, collapse and death may be seen.

11) Grapes and raisins: 3-4 grapes cause kidney damage in some     dogs.All types of grape- or raisin-containing products (including grape     juice, trail mix, bagels, etc.) can result in this. Even organic,     pesticide-free, grapes grown in home gardens can result in toxicity. Signs     include: anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially severe acute renal     failure (which develops several days later). The toxicity is not necessarily     dose-dependent, and symptoms can occur with even small ingestions.
The cause is unknown.

12) Glucosamine joint supplements: Most overdoses Overdoses only     cause diarrhea; in rare cases, liver failure.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these items or any other     questionable substance, call Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian for     assistance. Accurate and timely identification of the suspected substance     is very important. Having the container, package, or label in hand will     save valuable time and may save the life of your pet.

24/7 Animal Poison Control Center

1-800-213-6680

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *